EDIT: I KNEW I was forgetting some stuff! 🙂
The original recipe calls for a slow cooker. I did try it the first time I made it – but like the last time I made slow-cooker oatmeals, it was all yuck and mushed in the AM… not very good (though it was ok as a toast spread!) It also didn’t keep AT ALL, so I pretty much lost the whole recipe. So I do prefer to do it in the AM, using steel cut oats, and letting it simmer 30 min – perfect 🙂
Also, to save prep time in the morning, you still could do the bulk of the prep the evening before. Toss the sugar, spices, apples, cranberries and oats in one container, and the liquids in another. You could maybe add the butter pieces to the liquids, or just cut the butter in the AM. In the morning, toss both containers together in a stove pot, and voilà! 5 min (+ 30 min lol) oatmeal 🙂
On a more positive note from my last post (!), I have this amazing breakfast oatmeal I discovered a few weeks ago, and it has made me love oatmeal again. It i seriously DELICIOUS! And not very long to make. I do a half recipe from the one posted, and it lasts me 3 days – it’s actually very re-heatable, not mushy at all – just add a bit of water!
You can find the original recipe here, but I’m re-typing it here, with the half measures & my modifications.
You’ll see some of the comments say to reduce the liquids if you do it in the morning and not overnight in a slow cooker, but I use the exact amount listed with steel cut oats, and it’s perfect!
CHRISTMAS MORNING OATMEAL (May be enjoy year round)
- 1/6 cup (or, 40 ml – I use 2 teaspoons & 2 tablespoons) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 Granny Smith apple – peeled, cored, and sliced ¼ inch thick (I used any apples, and I don’t peel them, and just cube them, and it’s always fine!)
- 3/8 cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup butter, cut into pieces (I think it makes a difference to put it, so I do. I just cut a couple of mini pieces, I don’t measure it)
- 1 cup steel cut oats (I’ve also used same quantity of quinoa, and it worked just as well! Mixes it up a bit 🙂 You could probably do ½ cup each too)
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup apple juice
- ½ cup cranberry juice
- Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, apples and cranberries in a stove pot. Top with butter pieces.
- Add oatmeal, water, and juices. Stir briefly to mix.
- Cook on Med-High heat for a few minutes until it starts simmering, then bring heat down to simmer for ~ 30 min, or until liquid is well absorbed, stirring once in a while.
You can store unused portions in a container in the fridge. The next morning, just take what you want out, put on the stove with some water, and heat on low-med heat. Keep an eye on it, bring heat down it it overboils, add more water if needed. Re-enjoy – it’s just as good! 🙂